Quinnie's Birthday Countdown!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

October 12, 2011

Quinn's progress

So, for those who have been reading, you have seen about some of the issues we'd have with Quinn's development.  Now, don't get me wrong - she has made some great strides with progress, but I know that I'm not an expert when it comes to development.

When our pediatrician asked us to get Quinn evaluated for the second time (the first time, she was "far enough" behind to qualify), I was a bit frustrated.  After I realized that it wasn't my fault and that I wasn't a failure, I thought to myself  - if this can help, why on earth would I not do it?  So, we had Quinn evaluated again.  The entire process took over a month due to regulations set for the program about how much time had to be between the steps.

This time, she qualified for services, but ironically not in the area the pediatrician referred her for (gross motor skills - not walking).  She qualified for my biggest concern - that she is being stubborn when it comes to self-feeding (this falls into the "self-help" category) and this is what she was most "behind" in.

(Complete aside - but I have to say it.  How they measure your child is a z-score (how many standard deviations your child is away from the average).  If they are more than 2 standard deviation below in one category or more than 1.5 standard deviations below in two categories, they qualify.  So now, for all those out there - someone just talked to me about Z-scores that you learn in statistics!  They were glad that they didn't have to explain it to me :)      )

They ruled out any neurological or physical concerns (so they don't recommend a physical therapist or anything yet).  It appears to just be developmental.  So now, she is getting a weekly visit from a developmental expert to help her (and us) get her past these hurdles.

In other news, Quinn is now out of her infant car seat and into the convertible seat.  She has to stay rear facing for now as they recommend rear-facing until at least 22 lbs (and actually say they should stay that way until 2 now).  I find this hilarious as Owen out grew the 22 lb weight limit of the infant car seat at 6 months :)

I'll keep you updated on Quinnie's progress

2 comments:

  1. I know all about these "qualifying" results. We had our son tested due to his speech.... or lack there of actually. He's now 4 yrs old and attends a PIP (Preschool Intervention Program) at our local elementary school. Best decision we've ever made! It's hard as a parent to not feel like a failure but that's farthest from the truth... for you and for me! The progress my son has made in the past 10 wks has been amazing. And can I be honest, part of it I truly believe is due to laziness. He's not wanted to talk.... he's not wanted to learn his colors or shapes. I'm not saying there's not a delay because there is.... but that delay was made slightly worse b/c my kid just didn't care.

    I enjoy reading about Quinn's progress and how you guys are dealing with it. It speaks to my own heart b/c of my little guy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cookie - It's always nice to know that someone is or has been through something similar.

    ReplyDelete