Quinnie's Birthday Countdown!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

August 11, 2011

Honesty about kids, part I

My daughter is now 14 months old (wow, today actually).  I love her so much and believe that she is doing well.  But here are some honest things about our struggles with her:

  1. She *just* started drinking out of a sippy cup last week.  We started her with a sippy cup at 9 months and by that I simply mean introduced it - I didn't want to force her to drink out of it and she primarily just played with it; she would pick it up or knock it to the floor, but never put it to her mouth.  And even today, she still doesn't use it like a real sippy cup.  She still has to lie back a bit (we still let her use the bouncy seat) and she drinks the whole thing at once.  But for now, I'll call this progress.
  2. She started eating table food at 13 months.  Started introducing it (putting it on the high chair) at about 11 months (she was having chewing issues with chunkier baby food so we had to delay this).  Again she would just play with it by picking it up and/or tossing it to the floor.  The only way we have gotten her to eat table food is by putting it in her mouth for her and when we do, she does great!  I don't have any clue how to get her to pick it up and feed herself as she will pick it up and play with it or cry at me to feed her more, but she won't pick it up and feed herself.  Suggestions?
  3. She is still not crusing or walking.  She just started to fully pull herself up at the end of July and she does great at it.  She is finding her balance pretty well when we hold her hands to walk, but she is still not walking and you know what, I don't care!  She has continuously been "behind" on these milestones so why would I expect this one to be any different?
So there is some honest things that I have not wanted to admit as I constantly feel judged by the other parents around me.  When strangers don't know how old she is, this is generally ok as she may look about 11 months old right now so she doesn't appear to be far behind to those that don't know her age.  The problem is I do and I always feel like other parents are judging me.  I feel down when I see someone say that their child (who is 3 months younger) is taking their first steps already.  I am glad that they are celebrating their milestone about their child just don't judge me about celebrating my child's even if to you it seems like you just want to say "finally" or "it's about time."

My daughter is unique and will do things in her own time.  Parents need to stop being so judgmental about other people's children and their parenting choices! 

For a great book to help both the parents and child feel ok about being "behind", see the book "Ruby In Her Own Time"

1 comment:

  1. Coming over from Blue Eyed Bride.... My son just turned 4. His speech is delayed. He didn't talk AT ALL until he was 2. And then, it wasn't very much. I didn't start hearing the word "Mama" consistently until 6 to 8 months ago. He's a "normal" little boy except for his speech issues. I understand your pain and frustration.

    ReplyDelete