Quinnie's Birthday Countdown!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

October 26, 2011

What would you do?

So, first let me give you some background on the situation.  Owen is in kindergarten, but it is only half day at the public school whose district we are in.  Thus, I was happy when I found that the daycare he would go to would also do a kindergarten class for the other half of the day.

Well, the daycare that he goes to was taking a field trip to the local pumpkin patch.  "That sounds like a fun idea" I thought.  Started to read a bit more closely and...

Cost for field trip - $14 ($6 for the pumpkin patch and $8 for the bus). 
Note:  We will probably not make it back in time for the afternoon kindergarteners to make the bus, so if you want them to go, you can provide the transportation by picking them up at the pumpkin patch or picking them up at the daycare.  In addition, talk to ______ about if there will be an additional ($25) charge for the extra half of the day if they do not go the kindergarten.

Well, part of the reason I have daycare is I can't really do this pick-up kind of thing.  So Owen would have to miss kindergarten and I'd have to pay an extra $25 for the daycare.

So what would you do?
1.  Let him go on the field trip - allowing him to miss "regular" kindergarten and total extra cost:  $39
or
2.  Have him do his "regular" thing - but then he isn't included on the fied trip.


What I did below - but think about what you'd do first (I'd like insight for later field trips!)





















We chose option 2 - he just did his regular thing, and luckily, he wasn't the only one.  In order to make him feel semi-included, he also wore the color of shirt that those going on the field trip were going to wear and we packed him a special lunch.  He was a little upset when I first told him that he wasn't going, but I explained that he would miss going to kindergarten and we are hoping to go to a pumpkin patch as a family this weekend anyways.

So all in all, I think we made a good decision.  What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. That is a hard decision - I don't blame you for wanting your son to go to his "regular" kindergarten, but I also understand not wanting him left out. I always think that a mom's gut instinct is generally the right one!

    (found your sight from BlueEyedBride!)

    ReplyDelete