Quinnie's Birthday Countdown!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

October 5, 2011

5 year old food battles

Ok - so I'm starting honestly here.  I am a picky eater.  I know it, anyone that really knows me knows it too.  However...

why is my son an even pickier eater suddenly?  He used to eat ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that you put in front of him.  Now, if you put a piece of beef roast (which he loves) in a soup and ask him to just eat that piece of roast, it turns into a stand-off.

What did we do wrong so that he won't even TRY anything without a fuss?  How do I stop the battles at the table without cooking special for him (I refuse to make him something separate for supper)?  I do not ask him to eat anything that I won't eat in front of him (and believe me I have choked a few things down that I don't really like so that I'm not a hypocrite!)

We have a "behavior" chart at home and meal time is included with the decisions on this chart.  I don't want to intentionally hide foods that he should just eat as is as I really think that isn't the point.  I'm pretty sure if he tried many of these things with an open mind, he would like (or not hate) most of them.

Please give me some ideas!  I can't fight this battle every night!

2 comments:

  1. What I do..... and this is just how I do dinner in my home.

    I feed my boys what we eat but I'm big on frozen veggies when not "in season" and fresh fruit. I use sectioned trays too.

    I give my son our main course (meat, spaghetti, chili/beans, etc) then I also put a small helping of 2 veggies and a fruit on his plate. I know exactly how much he's getting and normally... he'll eat what he likes the most first then eat his least favorite last. But he normally, will eat some of everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just have to ride it out and stay consistent. My Finn went through something similar when he was 3 and now he's back to eating a huge variety. I never gave in to special meals, but I did try to have at least one thing I think he might like included in the meal. Believe me, I know it's maddening, just stick it out and miraculously he'll grow out of it.

    ReplyDelete