Quinnie's Birthday Countdown!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

September 7, 2011

You know you're from Nebraska when...

Ok, so I actually live in Northern Kentucky now, but I still consider myself I true Nebraskan.  After having been out of Nebraska for awhile now, I really have noticed some things that are so different!  So here is the compilation from my perspective:

You know you're from Nebraska when..
  • you know what Runza, Valentinos, and Amigos are.
  • you're told you have to take the interstate to get somewhere, that means it is a ways away.
  • on that note, you measure "distance" in time to get there.
  • a traffic jam means you had to wait through a stop light cycle twice.
  • you remember school being canceled due to exteme heat.
  • you schedule your wedding around the Husker football schedule (We actually did this)
  • someone asks you what the 3rd largest city in Nebraska is, and you say "Memorial Stadium on home football game days" with a dorky grin on your face :)
  • you remember Halloween being postponed due to blizzard like conditions.
  • on that note, your Halloween costume size was large enough to fit over a winter coat.
  • it snows 8 inches, but you don't even watch for school closings as you know you still have school :)
  • you know what snipe hunting is.
  • you believe you have no accent (we, from what I've been told, run a lot of sounds together and create other sounds - what most call the po-lice, we call the "pleece", or we "warsh" things instead of "wash" them.)
  • you (or someone you knew) had gun racks on their truck in the school parking lot.
  • it is "pop", no arguments.
  • you consider(ed) your 10 minute drive to work a long commute.
  • you know that the statue on top of the Captial is not a bowler.
  • you know that you cannot pronounce the word "combine" correctly without knowing the context of the situation.
  • you have had to explain to someone that people in Nebraska do not drive tractors everywhere!
and my personal favorite...
  • You know that the best side to chili is cinnamon rolls!  :)
Ok - fellow Nebraskans, things to add?  Non-Nebraskans - questions?  :)

Here are my little Huskers!


3 comments:

  1. A cinnamon roll is to chili what milk is to cookies-- harmony of flavor and complementary perfection. Also, I DON'T have an accent, haha. (I actually have received compliments on my Nebraskan "non-accent" before, which both surprised and delighted me.) My biggest tell is that I will drive a 16-hour (how many miles, who knows) round trip in 3 days just to see a friend for one day. At least on the east coast, an 8 hour drive gets me either up to Pennsylavania or down past Atlanta, and I don't even blink. Perhaps that's a trait of a Western Nebraskan since we have to drive 5 hours just to get to Lincoln.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to know that I'm not the "crazy" one about the cinnamon rolls! I was lucky enough to always be within an hour of Lincoln - I can only imagine what living in western Nebraska is like!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To both Beth Ann and Jackie, just remember that "western" Nebraska is anywhere west of York. When I say that I lived in Hastings, many Lincoln people now say, "Oh, out west!" to which I reply, "Well, it's actually in south central NE..." They still have no idea where it is actually at!

    ReplyDelete