Quinnie's Birthday Countdown!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

September 2, 2011

Traveling with Kids

The advice I'm about to give on traveling with kids is just what has worked with me.  I believe that just about anything that gets you all there in one piece and not hurt feelings is a success.  Yet, of course, we would all like to get there with as few headaches and tantrums as possible.

Since I had my daughter, I've made two trips back to Nebraska (about 770 miles) with the 2 kids and NO hubby.  I was only a little nervous the first time I did it as I knew that Owen was a good traveler already from previous trips that I made.  For the first trip, Quinnie was about 6 months and the second time about 13 months.

What I considered needed supplies in the car:
  • Bag of snacks with small containers with lids (like I Can't Believe It's Not Butter), which I have pre-filled the first time and have the bags for back-ups.
  • Pack of Bic pens, 5-10  (cheap enough if they get lost, but make sure you know how many you had!)  and a notepad (for you and to entertain a child)
  • CD's within easy reach
  • 1 blanket per child
  • For Quinnie, diaper bag packed with all needed supplies (enough diapers and wipes for the trip, food, bottles, change of clothes, medicine) but also a second diaper bag in the car with a few extra of each of these things).
  • Credit card in my back pocket (kept me from carrying my purse)
  • Bag of favorite toys that aren't too large
I also had my cell phone pre-loaded with text messages to give people updates of where I was and where I planned to stop (I've done this enough times now, I'm pretty good at judging).  That way, all I had to do was hit "send" and didn't have to actually text.  Kept it right by the driver seat in its own little spot.

I stopped a total of 3 times each way.  One thing I have learned is that each time you stop, the next stop will happen sooner.  That is, I drove for 4 hours, then stopped.  Drove for about 3 hours, and stopped.  Drove for about 2 hours and 30 minutes and stopped.  Then we had about 2 hours to go to get there.

First let me start with I left between 4-5am each time (that way my kiddos sleep for part of the beginning of it!)

Each stop took about 50 minutes - bathroom for all first!  Changed Quinnie while Owen went potty (went in the handicap stall with the diaper changer).  After we were all done, we'd wash our hands and order some food (we did fast food each time).  I'd feed Quinnie while I ate.  Then I'd take Owen to the bathroom again if he needed, then we got packed back up.  I went to the gas station and filled up each time (even if I didn't need it yet) and pay with my credit card so we didn't all have to get out.  I would do some toy, CD, snack organizing and we were back on the road.  (And if you can find a place with a park nearby or play center inside, it really helps to let the kids run around for a bit!)

As far as in the car, my kiddos are pretty good.  Owen helps to entertain Quinnie and hand her toys for me.  Owen keeps himself entertained rather easily and hasn't ever really gotten whiney (probably the worst was "I don't want to stop until we are at grandma and grandpas" when I would ask him if he was ready to stop).  Even one time all I had was a notepad and pens and forgotten to bring him many toys.  My front seat was piled with the toys (in a bag), the snacks (in a different bag).  This last time, I brought a portable DVD player just in case and Owen watched one movie each way.

As far as beverages in the car, I had the only one that I could give Owen a drink if need be (and had a bottle with some water in case Quinnie needed something). 

I think the biggest things I've learned are
  • be organized and prepared
  • don't stop at rest stops with kids if you're the only adult (especially as a solo mommy)
  • have someone who knows your plans on both ends
  • don't take chances
  • follow your intuition

Hope that this helps some! 

Are there things that are a must for you on a trip?

Finally a couple cute pics from Portrait Innovations

No comments:

Post a Comment