Quinnie's Birthday Countdown!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

September 6, 2011

Honesty About Kids Part 3

This is honestly a post I didn't think I would do.  Then I realized that one of the reasons I do this blog is to help other people understand what can go wrong and that they aren't the only one it may have happened to.  So here it is:  Owen has cavities.

Ok, so maybe that wasn't as shocking of an announcement as you were expecting, but let's be honest, most parents don't want to admit it.  So here is my story.

Owen first went to the dentist when he was about 18 months old.  The dentist's office had a pediatric dentist in their office and she mainly cleaned his teeth and counted them.  Everything was looking good.  Later that year, we moved.  I hadn't gotten dental insurance when I moved at first and once I did, I only got it for me at first (it was quite a bit more expensive to get the family version).  I thought what harm could come to Owen - he was young!  That of course was my first mistake.

When we decided to enroll Owen in kindergarten this year, he had to get a dental check-up (and I now have family dental insurance).  First tried to go to a regular dentist, but Owen was scared to death (so here is the first reason that not taking him was a mistake).  She got a peek and said she saw a couple gray spots on his lower molar.  She referred us to a pediatric dentist.  There, after many tears and the balloon bribe he got the panoramic x-ray and a couple of front bite x-rays.  Yep, he had cavities.  Almost worse - he was scared to death of the dentist. 

The pediatric dentist recommended Owen be sedated for his treatment.  We considered and decided this would be the best option so that he wouldn't be scarred for life.  So, on Thursday, my baby is going under to have his cavities filled. 

I thought I was the worst Mom possible - I had worked so hard to brush his teeth twice a day really well and we had just started a rinse for him.  But the dentist said that poor brushing/flossing is not the only thing that causes cavities.  He said that diet (extra sugar??) as well as spread of germs could attribute.  We try not to give Owen high amounts of sugar and he drinks one glass of diluted juice a day.  So, if you find yourself in the same boat or are worried you may, here is a great article that helped me understand!

1 comment:

  1. Don't feel too bad. I had cavities in my 2 year old molars as a kid too. (I think I was about 7 when I had my first one filled, and was also sedated.) My dentist at the time said it was actually from brushing a lot, as it created a groove in the middle of my tooth that I, as a kid brushing, didn't get to. The best news- those fell out (the only set of molars that do), and until I was out of college I didn't have any more cavities!

    ReplyDelete