Quinnie's Birthday Countdown!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

December 6, 2011

Important things in life

As we are heading into Christmas season head on, I like to take this time to reflect on the important things in life.  It is so easy for people to start focusing on the wrong things during Christmas.  I find myself at times forgetting what is important.  This time is not about gifts and Santa - this is a time for faith and family. 

I really miss being around my extended family at this time of year.  Not getting to be at my Grandma Rue's on Christmas nor getting to participate in the wrapping paper fight!  I miss being at my Mom's on Christmas and opening presents with my brother's family.  (At least I still get to do this...just a few days after Christmas now).  I miss having Valentino's pizza with my Grandma Graham and family.

I do also enjoy the new traditions I'm making with my own little family and community that I live in.  We will have a ham on Christmas Eve.  Owen and I will make some gingerbread men (which I didn't do with my Mom).  Some of my colleagues have had a stocking stuffer party the last few years.  The things that are important here is that I'm spending time with people who mean a lot to me!

All of the little, petty things aren't important at this time.  I try to reflect on the real reason for the season and to be the person that God has intended me to be.  I know I'm not perfect, but I do know that I want my kids to know what Christmas is really about.  It is very hard to do this when you are surrounded by presents, Santa, etc.

So at this time I ask all of you to remember what is important in life.  Christmas baking, gift giving, caroling, ... all of these things that we do this season are not meant to be competitions of who bakes the best cookies or who spends the most money on the gifts, they are mean to be in celebration of our faith and friends. 

Remember, the best present that you can give is your presence!  (Ok - that came from a Dove Milk Chocolate Promise candy...but I think it is a good one!)

1 comment:

  1. Lol... That last line cracked me up. But that dove chocolate was telling the truth! Are you going to be home again over the break? Let me know if you have time to visit :)

    ReplyDelete