Quinnie's Birthday Countdown!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

August 17, 2011

Popular Toys (early 80s)

Now that my son is starting Kindergarten (today actually - see tomorrow's post!), I was thinking back to when I was a kindergartner and the things that I liked a lot back in those early school years.  So I have compiled a list with some images to bring back the memories:

1.  Rainbow Brite - this was one of my favorite dolls.  I even had Starlite (the unicorn) to go with her!  Do you also remember the Sprites that velcroed to her hand? 



2.  Shrinky Dinks - I loved these - do you remember these?  You colored a larger version (generally with colored pencils) and then Mom baked them in the oven and they got smaller and hard so that they could stand up on their little pedestal.  My favorite were the Smurf ones.


3.  Adjustable Roller Skates - I remember having ones that had blue wheels and my brother and I would take turns putting these on (with your tennis shoes on too, of course).  I guess at least it took much longer to outgrow the skates!



4.  Popples - I guess we could call these the prior "pillow pets" - when you got your Popple into a ball, heck, it made a pretty good pillow!  I actually had the little white one from this picture; my brother had an orange on and one that looked like a soccer ball when you balled it up!


5.  Peaches N Cream Barbie - I loved Barbies in general; but I had a peach room when I was little so as you can imagine, I was pretty excited by a peaches Barbie!


6.  Muppet Babies - Loved owning these dolls, but especially loved the show!  Here is a baby Animal!


7.  Choose Your Own Adventure Books - I of coures liked these more when I was in about 3rd or 4th grade.  I really think that they should come out with movies that do this.  If you would like the boy to chase after the girl, click 1.  If you would like the boy to run screaming in the oppposite direction, press 2, ...


8.  Super Mario Bros - the original!  Ah, the Nintendo.  Think of how advanced graphics we thought this had at the time.  I remember the "warps" that you could find to make the game shorter and how teenie Mario would get when you lost your "power up mushroom" :)


What exciting toys of the 80's were your favorites?

1 comment:

  1. you forgot my little pony and strawberry shortcake! I would love to get my hands on some choose your own adventure books to read with Spencer now. I actually tried to write one of those in middle school. I love this post! Thanks for bringing back memories

    ReplyDelete