Quinnie's Birthday Countdown!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

August 22, 2011

Parents Smoke Free for 1 Year

 I was lucky enough to grow up with some of the best parents ever.  They were/are very understanding, patient, loving, encouraging, and just great people in general.  Their only downfall - they smoked!

My parents were smokers for over 30 years.  No matter how much my brother and I (or other family/friends for that matter) pestered or pleaded, they smoked. When they moved to their new house, they were still smokers, but they started smoking in the garage. 

In December 2009, my Dad retired from his job (so he was no longer smoking on his route).  They both, at this time, weren't smoking as much as they used to, but nonetheless, they were still smoking.

In June 2010, they came out to see us as I was having a baby girl - they stayed with us and helped me through the first 10 or so days of being a Mommy to two kiddos.  Still smoking, still outside (garage).

However, when they left, they took an unexpected gift with them - illness.  My husband had been sick right when I had Quinnie, and my Mom got pneumonia when she got back to Nebraska.  She ended up in the hospital.  Many complications later, she made it through.  The doctor told her she really needed to quit.  But she wasn't quite ready yet.  She and my Dad both got prescriptions to Chantix (see here).  Luckily, it worked for both of them. 

So here is to my amazing parents who continue to be understanding, patient, loving, encouraging, and just great people in general!  One year smoke free and many more years to come!  Love you both!

No comments:

Post a Comment