Quinnie's Birthday Countdown!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

August 26, 2011

Honesty about Kids, Part 2

Recently, I published a post with some of the issues we are having with Quinnie.  I know that each child has their struggles, and Owen is having some too.

As most of you know, Owen has glasses.  I have no problem with the fact that he wears glasses, I just didn't realize how much that could impact things.  I worry about how other children treat him because of it (especially as he has just  started kindergarten and a new daycare.)  I worry about how that will affect things when he really starts wanting to play sports.  When we go swimming and he takes his glasses off, I don't know how/what he sees.

From Owen's point of view, he is having a hard time making friends at his new school and daycare.  He keeps telling me that he doesn't have friends and that "they" don't like him.  This just breaks my heart and I don't know what to do.  He is a pretty outgoing little guy who will introduce himself to you so I don't believe that he isn't somewhat trying.

But outside of this, our biggest struggle is his pickiness and general pain-in-the-butt behavior with food.  If he hasn't already had it, he says he "doesn't like it."  We've tried a reward system for trying new food (if he marked off 10, he got to do something extra fun like go to the zoo or pick out a toy) and this worked through his first trip to the zoo.  We don't give him special treats/snacks if he won't eat supper.  I don't want the dinner table to be a battle zone, I want it to be a place where our family comes together to share in each other's company and to talk about our day while enjoying our meal.  So, anyone out there have some good (non-battle zone) ideas?

Here are some pics of Owen growing up...

No comments:

Post a Comment