Quinnie's Birthday Countdown!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

November 30, 2011

Christmas Baking

Some of the best memories that I have are those of my Mom and I baking goodies at Christmas time.  I'm not sure how old I was when I started "helping" or exactly at what point my Mom considered me a real help.  But I do remember pulling up a chair to the counter and helping to make cookies.  I especially loved making sugar cookies.  Of course, for a different reason than most.  The recipe that my Mom used at that time was one that had to be refridgerated overnight.  It also happened to be about the best tasting dough ever :)  I think Mom got to the point that she'd make a double batch knowing that I'd be sneaking dough from the bowl throughout that night and morning!


via Hersheys.com

We made lots of different goodies and I've helped her in three different houses.  No matter how big one's kitchen is, around Christmas time, it is never big enough!  I was usually in charge of making the peanut butter star cookies (one of my favorite still!), frosting and decorating the sugar cookies, peanut butter crackers and peanut clusters, white covered pretzels.  I would also sometimes help with the cherry mash and/or the O'Henry Bars (known as Scotcharoos to some).

Now that I'm no longer able to help my Mom with the Christmas baking due to distance, I try to make some goodies of my own.  Here is the list of things I plan on making this year:

  • Sugar Cookies
  • Gingerbread Cookies
  • Peanut Butter Fudge
  • Two-layer Fudge (maybe)
  • Peanut Butter Kiss Cookies
  • Chocolate Covered Pretzels
  • O'Henry Bars

via genaw.com

One thing I see lacking from my list is something mint.  Anyone have a great Christmas time recipe with mint?  Like a good chocolate mint fudge recipe?

Anyhoo, I know Owen will love to help me with making the cookies and hopefully next year I can start including Quinnie too!

What is your favorite Christmas time goodie?

3 comments:

  1. I have my one recipe with the cake like bottom, mint center and choc "drizzle" top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am doing a cookie countdown this year! One of the ones I always did in Missouri was peppermint pinwheels. They will be one of the recipes I share. You should link up with us ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love peanut brittle and peppermint bark the most! Unfortunately I'm not a very good baker :(

    ReplyDelete