Quinnie's Birthday Countdown!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

November 22, 2011

5K

Saturday was my first 5K!  I wasn't able to (nearly) complete the C25K program that I started, but I did do it!  It was definitely a chilly morning (around 40 degrees with a pretty good wind).  I was wearing my Nebraska hoodie and long-sleeve t-shirt (there weren't a lot of people in red, so I was sometimes easy to spot).

I ran into some people I knew there, who were actually one of the sponsors (The Community).  It was so great running into people I knew as they were able to motivate me and support me at the end!  (Plus, I had witnesses to my completion).  I also had a colleague (who is much more of a runner) do the 5K with me!

I do have to admit two things that I should have known/realized that I did not. 
  1. A 5K is 3.1 miles (not just 3 miles).  I know 0.1 miles is not much more, but it was my nemesis!
  2. There were going to be lots of hills.  (I'm used to running in a very non-hilly area or around a track so, this was a "surprise")
My goal was to run when I could and only walk when I needed to.  My time goal was definitely under 60 minutes, would like to be under 50 minutes.

I started out strong.  I got the first mile done in about 14 minutes (not too bad for me).  Then there was a long winding hill (small incline but for a long distance).  Got the second mile done at 31:20.  (Note that my awewsome colleague had already finished by this point)  I had a "kid" that I kept passing or being passed by.  I really wanted to make my goal of 50 minutes so I was running down every hill and walking up once the momentum passed.  My colleague showed up with about a half a mile to go as she said this was the point that she could have used a cheerleader (especially as we have another long small incline hill).  I was able to run about the last quarter mile and finished at:  50:03.

3 seconds!  Darn it! This is why that 0.1 mile was my nemesis.  If it had only been 3 miles I would have made my goal.  But it is ok - I was definitely close!

Hoping to try again the spring with a goal of breaking 43 minutes! 

I was definitely very sore the next day and Monday.  My sides hurt, the backs of my calves hurt.  But I DID IT!!!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! I am so proud of you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you!!! This is truly an accomplishment. I have never been a runner and was so proud when I ran my first (and so far, only) 5k. Pat yourself on the back, be proud of what you have accomplished, and keep setting new goals. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete