Quinnie's Birthday Countdown!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

November 3, 2011

Baked Potato Soup

 It is that time of year again to start bringing out all the soup recipes.  One of my favorite soups of all time is the potato soup from Outback Steakhouse (minus the chives).  I had a "recipe" for potato soup, but I wanted their recipe!  So I searched online and found one that was believed to be real close to tasting like Outback's - so I had to try it.  It is unbeliveably good (even my husband raves about it and he not one to get overly excited about sharing recipes).  So below is the recipe:




Ingredients


Potatoes (6-8 depending on the size)

1 Onion, diced

4 14oz cans of chicken broth

2 cups water

Salt to taste

Pepper to taste

1 dash of basil

1 dash of sugar

2 sticks of butter

3/4 cup of flour

1 1/2 cups heavy cream


Garnish

4-6 pieces of cooked bacon, chopped

Chopped chives (amount depends on your preference – I like a lot)

2 cups shredded Monterrey Jack / Cheddar cheese blend.


Directions

Bake the potatoes, set aside to peel later.  (I definitely say to BAKE them - so much better!)

In a large soup pot, melt the butter over a low to medium heat, being careful not to burn it.

Add the onion and cook until softened.


 

Add the flour and stir while it cooks for about 3 minutes.


Slowly add the chicken broth, water, salt, pepper, basil and sugar.

Bring to a boil, stirring often with a wire whisk.




Gradually add the heavy cream until you’ve reached the proper consistency.

Chop the potatoes into bite sized cubes and add to the soup.



Simmer for approximately 5 minutes to bring the potatoes to temperature.


Ladle the soup into individual bowls and garnish with chopped bacon, chives and the cheese blend.




Enjoy!

Mmmmm!

(Please note that I usually cut this batch in half!  That is enough for 1 meal for all 4 of us, plus 2 lunches for leftovers :)    )

3 comments:

  1. This looks so good - I'm going to have to try it! About how long does it take to make?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the potatoes are already baked, the actual soup making is about 30 minutes for me (and with half the batch). Hope it goes well for you - you'll have to let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely not a recipe for dieters, but wow this looks soooo good!

    ReplyDelete