Quinnie's Birthday Countdown!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

January 25, 2012

Parent-Teacher Conference

So, last night we got to have our first parent-teacher conference.  Daddy stayed home with the kids and I went to meet Owen's kindergarten teacher.  She was a bit behind schedule, but I'm sure it is hard to force parents out if they still have questions/concerns.  When I got in there, she told me that she would take some time to talk to me about Owen's social skills, as I was a bit concerned at the beginning of the school year, especially since he was the youngest in his class.  But first, she was going to talk about his test scores.

There were 3 mains areas that they tested (two were of "reading" types - visual recognition but then verbal as well, the other was math).  In each area there were about 3-4 sub-tests in which students were given a task and they had a minute to complete as many of that task successfully as possible.  In order to see how each student is doing, there are goals (or benchmarks) that they would like students to be able to complete.  Owen beat all of the goals on all of the sub-tests!  In addition, his "math" tests were at the first grade's benchmarks!

In addition, he made great progress on reading and is right where he should be with that.  He understands sentence structure (capital first letter, punctuation at the end, spaces between words) and uses it when asked to write a sentence.  Finally, their last task was to write the numbers 1-20 in these boxes without looking at any numbers for reference - he did awesome!

She then moved to social skills and asked if I was as worried anymore, which I'm not.  He comes home with great stories about friends, he'll tell me that he isn't friends with some of the kids because they do "bad things."  She then told me that once Owen realized that he didn't have to "take" things and could say how he felt, she noticed a great improvement is his social skills and she believes that he is doing great at it too!

So, in other words I heard what every parent would like to hear.  I'm very happy and proud of Owen that he is doing so well.  I think we made the right choice with starting him young.


You are doing awesome, my Owen!

Owen at 15 months



Owen at almost 5!

1 comment: