Quinnie's Birthday Countdown!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

January 20, 2012

Homemade Pizza

Growing up as a child, I was no different in the fact that I loved pizza (and still do).  In addition, I have always been a thick crust girl when it comes to my pizza.  My Mom, however, is a thin crust girl.  So when she made homemade pizza, it was a thin crust.  Now don't get me wrong, I love pizza of any crust so I did of course eat it.  But when I got out on my own, I never really made homemade pizza because I wanted the thick crust.

Then while in grad school a friend of mine had this leftover pizza from lunch and I asked her what pizza place it came from and she said she made it!!  It was a thick crust pizza and she made it?!?  Recipe please.  She told me that she got this recipe from home economics class so that is the source I got for you today!

Homemade Pizza Thick Crust

1 cup warm water
1 package rapid rise yeast
2 T vegetable oil
1 T sugar
1 t salt
3 cups flour (plus a little for kneading)

Dissolve yeast in warm water.  Then add oil, sugar and salt and stir well.  Add about 1 cup of flour and mix in.  Add between 1.5 and 2 cups flour until dough is not real wet anymore but isn't getting crumbly.  Knead dough on floured surface for about 5 minutes.  Let it rest and rise for at least 20 minutes (I usually go 30 minutes).  Press dough onto greased pizza pan and poke holes in it with a fork (to avoid bubbles).  Bake for 13 minutes at 375.  Add desired toppings.  Bake for another 12-15 minutes at 425.

For a little something extra, when I have the pizza half baked (before I add toppings), I spread on a little butter and top it with garlic powder :)

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm! Pizza! I've never tried adding butter and garlic before. Does it really make a difference?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it makes a big difference depending on the amount you add and if you like garlic. It makes it taste more like the "garlic bread" pizzas you may have seen lately.

    ReplyDelete