Quinnie's Birthday Countdown!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

February 10, 2012

Quinn's speech update

Quinn started her speech help on Tuesday this week.  As this was our first experience with a new person, our therapist mainly observed Quinn to get to know her and to let Quinn get used to seeing her as well.

The therapist mentioned that she wouldn't be surprised if the middle ear fluid was the biggest obstacle in Quinn's way right now.  She asked if we were having her hearing re-tested as suggested and I told her I was going to at the end of this month, but then Quinn got a double-ear infection so we have to wait 6-8 weeks after she finishes her antibiotics before we can have it tested again.

When people asked me about getting her these services and wondering if I have "jumped the gun" since she hasn't been formally tested for a speech delay, I said "what could it hurt?"  Why wouldn't I get these services for her if they are willing to help provide them at a very reasonable cost for us?  I would rather get the services and find out that she would have been fine without them then to find out that she could have benefited greatly from them and I didn't get them for her.

Hoping her communication gets better and better.  She has definitely began to start attempting to communicate more through more sounds and gestures.  In addition, she has began to understand more of what we are saying too!

2 comments:

  1. Jack had a lot fluid on his ears when he was little, and by the time he was 18 month he only said 6 words. We had his hearing tested and everything. Two months later out of nowhere he starts talking in full sentences (May I please have a drink of milk). I just had his 3 year old well child and the doc said he talks like a 4 year old. So don't get discouraged!

    ReplyDelete