Quinnie's Birthday Countdown!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

February 22, 2012

Lent - giving up?

I remember when I was in high school, some of my friends would talk about giving something up for lent.  I had never really heard of that before (they were Catholic, I am not).  Yet one year, I decided to give it a try.  I decided to give up chocolate.  Now my Dad was pretty skeptical about me being able to do this.  He bet me $5 that I couldn't do it.  Now, I have to admit, I never realized at that time how many things I ate that had chocolate in them that weren't just "candy bars" - I mean, even my Quaker granola bars had chocolate chips in them!  The closest I got to losing the bet (unintentionally of course) was when I was helping out for a veteran's fundraiser and got done cutting a chocolate cake and I almost licked the knife :)  But, I did end up doing it. 

Now as an adult, I haven't really thought much about "giving something up" for lent anymore.  I had a hard time with this idea as then I would just go back to my same habits after those 40 days.  So this year, I'm going to try something new.

This year I'm going to take something on instead of giving something up.  I'm going to take on trying to drink more water (and then hopefully less pop).  I'm going to take on trying to eat healthier, especially snack healthier (and then hopefully less sugary snacks). 

So today I stop trying to only be better for a short time and try to become better for the long run. 

Anyone here doing anything special for lent?

No comments:

Post a Comment