Quinnie's Birthday Countdown!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

February 20, 2010

Snow, snow, snow

We have been getting quite a bit of snow for this area. Last week, we had a bit more than a day of classes cancelled because of snow. Of course, wasn't happy about how it happened. Tuesday morning last week I had an 8am class. Due to the snow, I would have to leave the house around 6:30 or so to ensure if traffic was a problem, I should be able to make it in on time. In addition, O had a low-grade fever the night before, so if he had a fever, he had to stay home. So, Tuesday morning I woke up around 5:50 and checked the school's website - nothing about classes; checked my phone, nothing about classes. Then I went up to feel O's forehead - felt fine. So I got ready, got O ready and off we went. We made it to daycare about 7:20 (normal drive is 25 minutes, so about twice as long). Made it to school. I had about 9 of my 30 students in my 8am class that morning (review day for test on Thursday). I also had a class right after this one. Went to this class and about 16 of the 35 were there (including a few that live an hour away). About 15 minutes into class, another professor came in to tell us that classes had been cancelled for the rest of the day - Are you kidding me? Let's wait until we get there and then tell us to go home.

Wednesday morning, they cancelled classes starting before 10 am. So I figured I would just hang out with O. for a bit before taking him to daycare. So I called the daycare and left the message that O would not be in until around 11 or so. (My office hours don't start until 1:30 on Wednesday). When I got on my email, I actually found out that daycare was closed. So then I had to take O. to school with me, have him in my office during office hours and have an old student (who I know well) watch him while I taught. Now that was a long day that very little got accomplished.

This week, I woke up Monday to seeing that classes were cancelled - fine with me. So I called daycare to tell them O. would not be in. Daycare decided to close early on Monday and be closed on Tuesday as we were going to be getting snow all day and night. So now, the wait was on to find out if classes would be cancelled. At about 10:30 that night, classes were cancelled until noon - and I have a 12:15 class. So now that hunt is on for what I should do with O. during this class with the plan that B. would come get him from school after work so I could still go to my department meeting. Then at about 9:30 the next morning, they called off the rest of the classes on Tuesday - this made life much easier.

With the snow day on Tuesday, I decided to keep my exam in two of the classes on Thursday with review being done primarily online and through extended office hours. Since very few (less than 10%) took advantage of either of these, they should have no reason to whine. Now I just need to grade those exams...

Is it spring yet??

No comments:

Post a Comment