Quinnie's Birthday Countdown!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

April 20, 2010

The fall...

It was a relatively nice to start to a Sunday. O and I ate breakfast and played a couple games of cootie. After Daddy woke up, I went back to sleep for a few hours as I seem to be getting more and more tired lately. After be woken up from my nap by my sweet O and Daddy, they began to head downstairs while I got myself ready for the day.

As I was getting ready, I heard something (or someone) tumble down a couple stairs followed by a thud - turned out it was O! Neither of us actually saw the start of the fall, but Daddy saw the landing - a bit on our side/head area. I flew down the stairs and Daddy already had him. Daddy was doing a great job comforting him, but I had to make sure we were ok too! Of course, once mommy is there, that is generally who O wants to help him feel better. So I took him up to my room (I know, I shouldn't have been carrying him, but how do you say no at this moment?) and had him sit/lay on the bed so I could check him out some. Once we got sat down, I noticed that there was a little blood coming from his mouth, so I grabbed a washcloth to get him to put in his mouth so I could find out how bad the wound was - couldn't really find an exact source and it didn't bleed very long. He was crying, as to be expected, primarily saying that his mouth hurt and that he was scared.

Once it appeared that there were no other major bruises/bleeds, we headed back downstairs and got some juice and an ice pack for our chin. Gave him some ibuprofen to hopefully help with the pain. Once he was pretty calm, we went to get a snack (my way of seeing how he was walking now) and all looked good.

After about an hour and a half, I was able to get online and look up about a child falling down the stairs and it appears that parents are generally more concerned then they need to be - children falling is much different then adults falling as they are much smaller (shorter) and flexible then we are. It appears that if O was crying, could walk/move his limbs and wasn't bleeding from a location other then his mouth/nose, there wasn't generally any thing to be obviously worried about - just needed to keep an eye out since he hit his head.

All seems great now and as the website said - I think this was more traumatic for us then it was for him!

No comments:

Post a Comment