Quinnie's Birthday Countdown!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

August 25, 2009

First days of classes

This semester I am teaching different classes: One section of STA 205 - general education class but also an intro level stat class for a lot of majors like nursing, psychology, and criminal justice. I've taught this class a lot so I'm not really concerned about the content and the first day of class went really well - lots of students were really thinking about what I said and answered question thoughtfully. This is my only female-dominated class (I believe about 80% female - 30 girls, 6 guys give or take one)

I have two sections of my new prep for the fall - STA 213 - second course in statistics aimed at business majors. I have about 60 students in these two sections and have about 15 familar faces, which is nice. Only had one 50 minute class period with them so far, so hard to tell how it will go. I will be expecting more of them, and should be!! (These classes are about 75% male)

I have one section of STA 250 - which is the introductory stat class but is calculus based - so aimed at mathematics, statistics, and computer science majors primarily. Students asked a few questions the first day and I have already had one of these students come by my office and asking questions on the suggested problems! I always think once probability/counting rules are done, this class is down hill from there! It's exciting that we had to open a second section of this class (someone else teaches it at the same time I do) as we have over 50 students in this class. Hopefully we can recruit some stat majors (as it is brand new this year) from this group! (This class is about 70% male)

My first week of classes happened to coincide with B having to go in an hour early all week and he has yet to get off an hour early. Luckily, we haven't been grumpy toward each other this week (yet?) but we're both pretty worn out.

I'm always much happier after this first week - generally my classes are stable at this point (no more suddenly new students and no more checking to see if they have the prerequisites for the class) and everyone knows where they are going. Nothing quite like students parking in our lots and a couple officers directing traffic in the round-a-bout (isn't its point to not have to have someone directing traffic? maybe it's just me :) )

I always dress up for teaching for at least the first week - need to separate myself somehow! Though I have been beginning to notice that I have way too many lower cut shirts - maybe I've noticed this more now that I'm in a lot of male dominated classes? Coincidence? Maybe they'll at least pay attention! Hah!

No comments:

Post a Comment